Loved games like Pong, Pac-Man, Centipede? Ever wonder how they evolved over time to console games like NES, Wii, Xbox and Playstation? Or wonder how did WoW become so popular? This infographic by National Geographic shows the historical timeline of video games from past to present. Some highlights:
- 1947, the first interactive game that’s a missile simulator.
- 1962, Spacewar! developed by MIT students, players controlled a spacecraft and fired missiles at each other. Considered the basis for many games.
- 1980, Pac-Man introduced and one of the most influential games of all time.
- 1982, Snipes created by SuperSet Software was the first online, networked game.
- 1983, 8-bit gaming console, Nintendo Entertainment System entered the market.
- 1996-2002, 64-bit and 128-bit game consoles were introduced.
Click for a larger version.
For more infographics and videos related to games, check out our other posts:
- How To Pick The Perfect Video Game Infographic
- 10 Incredible Facts About World of Warcraft
- Infographic: The Evolution Of Gaming Consoles
- The Evolution Of The PlayStation Controller Infographic
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About PlayStation
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Xbox
- Infographic: The Evolution Of The PlayStation