Coming in contact with poison ivy is no laughing matter. The rash and the unbearable itch that won’t stop can spread if you don’t wash it off within a 10 minutes.
In the latest video by Reactions (previously), their guest Jennifer Novotney, winner of the 2014 Chemistry Champions science communications competition, explains what happens to your skin when you touch poison ivy.
Also you don’t need to touch poison ivy. If poison ivy were burning, the allergen urushiol can get in your lungs and cause a severe allergic reaction. And urushiol can last up to five years if you don’t wash everything such as your footwear, bag, and jacket.
Watch the video to learn more and get tips to help stop the itch.